Subscribe to our newsletter and stay informed

Check out our list of top companies

Check out our carefully compiled lists of the most relevant and impactful companies within their fields.

Check out our list of top unicorns

Read and learn about the biggest companies that various countries have produced, how they made it, and what the future looks like for them.
January 2, 2024

The eNaira's Complex Journey in the Nigerian Digital Landscape

A legal luminary immersed in Nigerian tech, points a compelling finger at the hurdles thwarting the embrace of eNaira

In the intricate world of Nigeria's digital currency evolution, Chinedu Albert, a prominent legal expert in Nigerian tech and innovation, sheds light on the hurdles hindering the eNaira, the Central Bank of Nigeria’s digital currency (CBDC). In an exclusive interview with Cointelegraph, Albert connects the dots between the eNaira's challenges and a prior crypto ban, setting the stage for a nuanced exploration of its current status.

The eNaira, unveiled on October 25, 2021, aimed for the stars but found itself navigating through adoption challenges just two months past its second anniversary. Despite a commendable sixth position in the Global Crypto Adoption Index in 2021, the eNaira faces vulnerability to government policies and inflation, according to Chainalysis data.

The International Monetary Fund's May 2023 report adds a quantitative perspective, revealing that only 1.5% of monthly transactions per wallet involve the eNaira, leaving a staggering 98.5% of wallets inactive weekly. Albert and digital finance expert Tobi Aremotobi agree that trust in the national currency, the naira, and the central authority overseeing it is paramount for eNaira adoption. Aremotobi's real-world encounters, underscore the practical challenges faced by users attempting to integrate the eNaira into their financial transactions.

Despite the official lifting of restrictions on digital assets for Nigerian banks and financial institutions, the eNaira faces a tepid response. The phrase "I'll pay you with eNaira" is more playful banter than a reality, with most merchants in Nigeria not yet accepting the digital currency. The tech-savvy populace remains skeptical about blockchain-based currency's mainstream adoption, contributing to the eNaira's struggle.

The IMF report introduces a ray of hope, emphasizing the eNaira's objective to tackle Nigeria's substantial informal economy and enhance transparency in informal payments. The eNaira plans to integrate with existing mobile money frameworks, offering two potential approaches: leveraging local mobile money networks like Kuda, oPay, and Flutterwave or constructing a retail access network. The recent collaboration between the Central Bank of Nigeria and Flutterwave to introduce eNaira as a payment option is seen as a strategic move, but IMF data suggests it may face challenges aligning with Nigeria's cash-dominated mobile money market.

As the eNaira charts its course through the complexities of digital transformation in Nigeria, the road ahead seems both challenging and promising. The necessity for trust, the struggle against ingrained financial habits, and the potential integration with mobile money networks paint a vivid picture of the eNaira's journey. While hurdles persist, the pursuit of transparency and formalization in Nigeria's economy remains a beacon of hope for the eNaira's future.

Neil Hodgson Coyle
Neil Hodgson-Coyle
Editorial chief at TechNews180
Back to top

Related articles

chevron-down linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram